Thursday, January 11, 2007

Laura Ingalls covered her head a lot, too

In Canada this week, they aired a new show called "Little Mosque on the Prairie".

Apparently, this is supposed to be somewhat of a funny take on being Muslim in a rural community in this great country. I'm not sure because I didn't watch it.

I thought about watching it in the interest of seeing how they would cast a humourous twist on what was sure to be a bunch of situations involving white people misunderstanding the well-meaning, honest, hard-working Muslim family who, no doubt, disavowed terrorism and hugged their Christian and Jewish neighbours. Well, okay, maybe not Jewish...most of us are smart enough not to wind up living in Black Fly Bite, Manitoba or Wind Blowing Shit In My Eye, Saskatchewan.

Anyway, after I thought about watching it, I had a different thought which was: "hell, why bother? It's not like there's anything unusual about people moving to Canada and freely practising their religion."

Nope, nothing unusual at all. But, feel free to call me when they make a show called Little Catholic Church in Riyadh or Little Synagogue in Amman.

Now, that would be different.

4 comments:

Baconeater said...

I watched 10 minutes of it and my assessment was not funny enough, borderline boring.

Baconeater said...

I don't like stuff like that Callie.
The timing of it hurts Israel's cause.

Why is it coming out now, when support for the war is low and even Bush is admitting to mistakes?

If the war was successful, the comment would never have been printed.

Catherine said...

"Well, okay, maybe not Jewish...most of us are smart enough not to wind up living in Black Fly Bite, Manitoba or Wind Blowing Shit In My Eye, Saskatchewan."

Hey, I grew up in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. I think it was just down the street from Wind Blowing Shit In My Eye. :)

"But, feel free to call me when they make a show called Little Catholic Church in Riyadh or Little Synagogue in Amman."

Hahahahaha! I really like your blog, Southie. Your take on things is very similar to mine, but you have the gift of being able to write about it and make it a lot more interesting than I could.

southfield_2001 said...

I seem to remember at the time there were comments out of Israel that Sharon had urged Bush to at least think twice before going into Iraq.
Israel had nothing to gain by this war. They knew the lefties would automatically lay some fo the blame for the war at Israel's feet. They also knew it could destabilize the ME. Saddam was paying off the homicide bombers' families but compared to some of the shenanigans in the ME, that was not the worst threat to Israel, by far.
Let's face it, Bush could have gone after a number of ME countries and it would have been a benefit to Israel (particularly Iran, Syria and Saudi Arabia, in that order), but not Iraq.