Some thoughts on Don Imus:
1) Calling members of the Princeton Women's Basketball team "nappy-headed hos" was incredibly distasteful and unbelievably stupid.
2) MSNBC must have really hated having to suspend him for two weeks. I wouldn't even like to guess at what the jump in their listening audience must have been in the days following.
3) There is a significant amount of truth in the contention that if it isn't alright for Imus to call people "nappy-headed hos" then it isn't alright for anyone to use such terms. The terms help perpetuate the stereotypes regardless of who employs them and it's not just African-Americans who are listening to African-American artists etc., it's kids of all backgrounds.
4) The nappiest head that ever walked Princeton's grounds sat on the shoulders of Albert Einstein. Those young women are in some pretty heady company (pardon the pun).
5) It's amusing beyond belief that Al Sharpton got to take Imus to task. Pardon me? In beliefs, Sharpton is to Imus as Mel Gibson is to Michael Richards. What a crock of shit. Of course, being a black bigot is perfectly acceptable, especially if New York Jews are your target...just ask Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakhan.
6) Why do 67-year-old men continue to wear their hair like they're 17? As if Imus is in any position to make hair comments; he's halfway to Cousin Itt status.
7) This is what one of my editors used to call a "nine-day" wonder because in nine days no one will really remember or care. The media loves to feast on its fallen. Trust me, though, in a week, Paris Hilton will get busted while snorting crushed amphetamines off the chest of an American Idol contestant. Imus will be forgotten - unless he calls Paris a "platinum-blonde bleached bitch ho". Which he might...
8) Whatever happened to Howard Stern?
9) Talk radio, like internet chat sites, are dumping grounds for hatred, vitriol and derogatory language. This is due to the anonymity available, people's general need to vent and their inate belief that their opinions mean something. Of course, I have a blog so, mea culpa. I try to avoid the hate but I've definitely been guilty of the vitriol. I also believe the derogatory terms are unnecessary. My favourite target is the arab world. It's exposed with no further description necessary...
10) Ah, seriously, this shit ain't worth 10 thoughts.