Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Sensibly Stoned

According to a recently released UN report, Canadians are the highest people in the industrialized world.

That's right: we smoke more pot than any other first world nation, placing fifth overall in the world behind a handful of third-world countries where, let's face it, there isn't much else to do.

As someone who has enjoyed a toke or two in his lifetime, (or maybe even more - I forget, man) it didn't really come as a surprise that one out of every six Canadians admits to firing up a doobie or that that number rises to as high as one in three if you're a high school student in Quebec. Marijuana fits in pretty nicely with the Canadian lifestyle - it goes great with a hockey game, beer and chicken wings, it gives you a nice buzz, usually a slight sense of euphoria, but nothing too outrageous and it grows like a weed - probably because it is a weed - in most regions of the country.

British Columbia, as any dope afficianado will tell you, is one of the world's great producers of pot. Often in the summertime, you can hear and see police helicopters as they search for crops - growing it between rows of corn is pretty common - or seek grow-ops which they can identify by the amount of infrared heat that's picked up. Other common ways of busting growers include targeting homes with a highly unusual consumption of water and electricity.

The silly thing about marijuana is that there are somehow still politicians and law enforcement officers who believe they can stamp it out and that it's worth any effort to do so. This, of course, flies in the face of all logic: prohibition of any material has never worked, pot is way too easy grow and move around and, lastly, there's no good reason to persecute it in a society where I can legally get wrecked on alcohol or over the counter medications that are far more dangerous to my health and the health of those around me and also far more addictive.

Yesterday, I was talking to a friend who just caught his teenage son high on the reefer because said son had doused himself in Axe to cover up the smell. "Did he admit it?" I asked "Yes," said dad. "Did you have to give him one of those stern talking tos?" "Yes", said dad, "I had to pretend I was really angry even though I wasn't." "Did you feel like a bit of a hypocrite?" "Yes."

And, therein lies the great Canadian conundrum with weed. Even in only one-sixth of us admit smoking it - which makes me believe a lot of people were lying - almost no one I know really cares.

The best thing we can do with pot is legalize it, sell it in liquor stores with all the appropriate regulations about providing it to the young, take it out of the hands of organized crimes and use the tax revenues to subsidize the cost of Cheesies. Or maybe to help people get off really serious drugs or other addictions. Or build roads. Or whatever.

One thing is for sure: just because it is illegal doesn't mean anyone's going to stop smoking it.

3 comments:

Lexcen said...

Everyone who has ever smoked pot(and who hasn't?)will tell you it's harmless. I have a son who smoked it at a more intense degree than the occasional use and he will testify that he and his friends did develop paranoia as a result of the harmless substance. I didn't need to preach to him the evils of the stuff. He could see how it changed his friends personality and how it changed him. He woke up and changed course. Other studies have shown that marijuana can trigger schizophrenia in those that are prone to the disease. Smoking the occasional reefer isn't the same as regular use with a bong. That is the difference between harmless and harmful.

BHCh said...

Yeah, I was struck how popular it appears to be around here. You can smell it every time you pass schoolboys. Just hope that my boys are sensible enough...

Michael said...

Canadians are the highest people in the industrialized world.

Well, what else is there to do in the frozen north?

I gotta admit, though, that I have smoked more than my fair share, in my time. I don't see the point to it anymore; it's the same reason I don't drink much.

But if they ever do legalize it, than to paraphrase Elliot Ness, I think I'll have toke.